“He always wanted me to smoke weed with him, and I never did it, and I wish I did,” Tyson said in a recent phone interview.
Tyson said he declined because he was a closet smoker and didn’t want it to get out that he smoked the drug. Now, when he looks back on the lost opportunity, he says: “That’s my biggest regret.”
Tyson’s friendship with Shakur is the subject of a new documentary, “One Night in Vegas: Tyson & Tupac,” which airs Tuesday on ESPN (8 p.m. EDT).
The 25-year-old rapper was shot after a Tyson fight in Las Vegas on Sept. 7, 1996; he died six days later.
“He didn’t last long, but the time he did last, every minute, every tenth of a moment was explosive,” Tyson said.
The documentary chronicles their relationship, which Tyson said took hold when he was imprisoned in 1992 for rape.
“Every day, he would call me or get a chance to call me or send a message,” said Tyson. “He would get word to me in prison.”
By the time Tyson was released in 1995, Shakur would be jailed for sex abuse; he was released on bond later that year. When he got out of prison, Tyson and Shakur’s friendship deepened. Both found it difficult to find people who truly cared for them, Tyson said.
TMZ has learned … one of Tiger Woods’ mistresses was fired from her job as a “working girl” at Nevada’s most famous brothel … all because she opened her big fat mouth.
Devon James — mistress number 20ish — is still featured on the website for the world famous Bunny Ranch in Carson City, where owner Dennis Hoff confirmed Devon was employed as a sex worker for “a while.”
But Hoff tells us he recently fired Devon’s ass after she injected herself into the Tiger Woods media circus because she “broke the code — which is privacy and discretion with all clients.”
Hoff continues, “She is a disgusting excuse for a working girl … she’s a scumbag and a snitch.”
As for Devon’s rate during her stint at the ranch — Hoff explains, “It’s negotiable depending on what you want … but it could get into the thousands.”
Hoff ended with this parting shot — “Now that she doesn’t work here anymore … I wish nothing but the worst for her.”
A rep for Devon tells us, “She worked there one time before the Tiger thing.”
The rep also insists that management at the Bunny Ranch continues to call Devon because they want her to work there.
R&B singer Ne-Yo and his booking agent have been ordered to pay over $156,000 (GBP104,000) in damages to a disgruntled concert promoter after the star missed a scheduled show in America’s Washington state in 2008.
Promoter Kenyohn Clark sued the Closer hitmaker, real name Shaffer Smith, and his promoter Mike Esterman after the singer was a no-show at the planned 2008 New Year’s Eve concert.
Clark claimed that Esterman misled him and failed to return a $95,000 (GBP63,330) deposit.
The case went to trial last month (Jul10) and Maryland judge Philip Caroom ruled in favor of Clark on Tuesday (24Aug10), ordering Ne-Yo and his associate to pay up.
Ne-Yo testified that he knew in his “heart of hearts” the deposit should have been returned.
Clark and bosses at Wet Entertainment LLC were initially seeking $500,000 (GBP333,300) from Ne-Yo and a further $1 million (GBP666,600) in damages from Esterman
Missy Elliott has paid tribute to her late friend Aaliyah on the ninth anniversary of the R&B star’s death.
The Try Again hitmaker was killed in a plane crash in the Bahamas on 25 August 2001 at the age of 22, shortly after the release of her third album and just as she was launching herself as a Hollywood actress.
Elliott collaborated with Aaliyah many times throughout her tragically short career and insists she still misses her friend nearly a decade after her death.
She tells MTV.com, “There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think of (Aaliyah) or watch a video or play her music. I miss her every day.”
But the rapper insists she is proud to see the singer’s influence live on in present day artists, including Ciara.
She adds, “I think it’s hard for Aaliyah to be duplicated, because she had her own lane. But Ciara is an R&B singer who loves to dance, and Aaliyah was that same kinda artist. We knew when she dropped a record, we couldn’t wait for the video. I think Aaliyah has influenced artists like Ciara.”
Timbaland commented on his alleged “suicide attempt” on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show and he assured his fans that there’s nothing to worry about. He explained that he was indeed upset about a theft of some personal belongings, telling Seacrest, “People steal from me all the time. Stuff did happen, it wasn’t a watch it was something else.” But with regard to the police being called based on reports of an “alleged suicide attempt“, he said “I don’t know what happened to be honest with you, I don’t know what people are talking about…only thing I did was take a drive to see how my head is.”
Even though Timbaland’s own wife and mother-in-law were the ones who called the police, the producer has no idea why they reacted that way and said that when the police finally located his car, he didn’t realize what was going on. “The officer pulled me over, he just had to do procedures,” Timbaland explained. ”I snapped, ‘Who the heck reported something like that? No, why would I commit suicide?’” He was released by the cops after it was determined that he didn’t pose a threat to himself or others.
You can listen to the entire broadcast of Seacrest’s show with Timbaland here. We’re glad the incident is cleared up and that everyone is safe and sound.
Rapper Mos Def is accused of recently bailing on a gig 24 hours before it was set to go off and causing the promoter to take a $57,000 hit … this according to a new lawsuit.
According to the documents — filed today in L.A. County Superior Court and obtained by TMZ — Mos was paid a $12,500 deposit to do a show at the Kool Haus in Toronto back on February 25.
In the suit, the promoters, REMG Entertainment, claim Mos suddenly backed out of the concert on February 24 … and failed to pay back the $12.5k.
REMG claims it’s another $45,000 in the hole for “lost customers, sales, and goodwill” — and is suing Mos and his crew for at least $57,500.
Calls to Mos’ people have not been returned.
Last time we heard of Sony Ericsson’s Xperia X8 it was crawling around the FCC, but last night we found the little thing in a more welcoming, though equally as judgmental place — our hands. Formerly codenamed the “Shakira,” we were hoping the Android phone would be a bit more modern and slim, but sadly that’s just not the reality of the rather chunky smartphone. Just like its X10 Mini and Mini Pro siblings, the 3-inch handset runs Android 1.6 with Sony’s rather-deep custom skin — a Sony rep on hand told us there would be an upgrade to 2.1 sometime in Q4. That seems a bit late, but there’s no doubt that the X8 is a lower-end phone with its 3.2 megapixel cam and 600MHz CPU. The X8 we saw was wearing a white cover, though were also told there would be other interchangeable cover options available when it hits the market soon. Other than that we found the prototype (it was clearly marked that!) to be rather responsive and the UI to be quite intuitive, however the onscreen keyboard was extremely cramped for typing a URL into the browser. In comparison to the hoards of powerful Android smartphones we’ve seen in the last month or so, the X8 is certainly lackluster, but the little thing may just be an affordable unlocked choice when it hits the US for less than $300 soon. Sony Ericsson Xperia X8
The PlayStation Move is now less than a month from hitting stores shelves, and it looks like some Sony execs are already busy starting to manage expectations. Speaking with Eurogamer this week, Sony Computer Entertainment senior vice president Ray Maguire chose to compare the Move’s launch to that of the EyeToy for the PlayStation 2, saying that “exactly as with EyeToy in the PS2 days, it’s a product that needs to be sampled. You need to get your hands on it. You need to understand it. You need to try it.” Maguire further went on to say he’s “not particularly” expecting “massive” day one sales, but that he expects sales to grow as word of mouth spreads. In other PlayStation news, Sony’s Kaz Hirai seems to have effectively ruled out a download-only future for the eventual PS4 in an interview with MCV, with him saying that a “digital future is over ten years away.” Hirai then went on to note that “we do business in parts of the world where network infrastructure isn’t as robust as one would hope,” and that “here’s always going to be requirement for a business of our size and scope to have a physical medium.” No word if that also applies to Sony’s future handhelds as well.